Monday, August 15, 2011

Guilette's Castle

Jason and I went to Connecticut at the end of July for a family reunion on Jason's side. We were able to visit Guilette's Castle while we were there. William Guilette played the original Sherlock Holmes on stage. He was a trickster in designing his own home. Here is a picture of the outside.



This is one of the walls in the home. Almost all the walls in the home had these woven grass panels on them. It was so beautiful. You can also see the amazing woodwork in this picture.



This is his liquor cabinet (see the wood intricacies again?). He designed it so that it locked. He would welcome his guests, serve them a drink, and invite them to have more while he "stepped out." He would then go hide upstairs and spy on his guests trying to figure out how to open the cabinet.



Many of the doors had amazing workings.



This is a light switch. All of his light switchs were amazing.



This is the ceiling in his living room.



These are just handles on a chest of drawers, but I love them.



This is Jason with his two younger sisters, Jessica and Jennifer.




This is the porch of off the living room.



Here are Jason and I standing under it. Notice I do not have to duck.




We had an amazing time. More pictures to come.

No comments: