Friday, April 24, 2009

Chef=Smoker?



Jason and I enjoy watching Hell's Kitchen. I made an observation this season and spoke to Jason about it. He noticed it also. Maybe we have never noticed it before, but it seems that every chef on Hell's Kitchen smokes! We can remember just a few who were on earlier in the season that did not smoke. I have never worked in the food industry. I do not know if this is very typical or not. I was just blown away.

I feel I have been lucky during my life to have been raised not to smoke. Not smoking is an aspect of my religion. Yes, I still know people who smoke and were around them. Of these that I know, two have died. My grandfather's wife passed away at age 43. She smoke 3 packs a day. Jason's father passed away at age 53. He had other health problems also, but the smoking did not help. I still love everyone the same. I just plead with those out there to reevaluate your life.

I also work at a tobacco free institution. I am happy to say that I do not have to smell smoke often in my life. The smoke really bothers me. My eyes do not like it and my throat does not like it. When Jason and I lived in California, we had seasons passes to Disneyland for a period of time. We LOVED the fact that Disneyland is smoke free. Yes, there are a few designated areas where people can smoke, but they are on the outskirts and there are not too many. Before we had passes to Disneyland, we had passed to Knott's Berry Farm. You could smoke there, but you were not supposed to smoke in line. People did it all the time and it was so annoying!

So for all you smokers: I still love you, but please quit!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

That is awesome. I noticed that too and it makes me grossed out to think that all the chefs here at restaurants I eat at probably smoke all the time too- what is it?? It is such a disgusting and retarted habit. I agree. "Please quit" I always want to slap people in the face and say- you are such an idiot- but I don't feel right about that :)

Aubrey said...

And if you notice they are never good at the taste tests - I wonder why?

Jason and Jeni said...

I have totally noticed that too Kris!It really is pretty gross..I am guessing its because its stressful business to be in? Who knows! I am glad we don't smoke tho:)

sharon said...

both of my brothers smoke and their families. I can't get it through their thick heads to quit. my dad smoked for half his life before he quit. now that he is older he is paying for all of those years. Can we say Eww!

thecurtiscouple said...

Thats FUNNY because just a few weeks ago I noticed it too. Im like what the heck...do they all smoke? Is it like a stress reliever for chefs? lol. Wierd. It is very gross. You know Delvin smokes and it makes me disgusted! But I love him and am working on him to quit ...so hope that works out