Jason decided to lend a hand and save our landlord some money a few weeks back. He volunteered to install a new toilet for us. She paid for the toilet, and he provided the work. Well, we should have known better. Almost every single water supply in our duplex has had to be replaced because of corrosion.
Jason got the old toilet out fine, and the base of the new toilet in just great. The only issue was that the supply line shut off to the toilet was corroded. Jason turned off all the water for our duplex. The kitchen sink no longer has running water, the bathroom sink no longer had running water,etc. EXCEPT the toilet supply line still had water coming out of it. He then proceeded to jump our fence to get to our emergency shut off. This shut off not only controlled our side of the duplex, but also the other side. Water was STILL coming out of the toilet supply line. At this point he and I were getting frustrated. I called my dad, and he had no suggestions. At this point I am sitting on the floor dumping water every 2-3 minutes. We called our landlord because we were stumped. She could not reach any of her handymen so we had to call Roto Rooter. They were out pretty quickly. The plumber could not even explain why the water was still coming out. His only explanation was that it is "the low point." He just went ahead and installed the toilet and new supply line with the water running. I was just happy to have a new toilet and not having to sit on the floor constantly dumping water. The plumbers explanation of the water still coming out still does not make sense to me because by the time he took care of it, it had been close to 4 hours!
I had a final the next day that I did not get to study for that night. Jason and I went to bed around 11 and just as we were both almost asleep, we heard this loud burst. Yes, the NEW water supply line coupling broke. Fortunately, we had a new shut off and I just shut off. Within a matter of 20 seconds, the bathroom floor was flooded. I was very cranky and Jason had me go back to bed while he cleaned up the mess. The plumber came back out the next day and said the coupling was defective.
We have had no other problems since (knock on wood). After this incidence, I told my co-workers that I did not know if we would ever buy a house because I do not what I have to deal and pay for all the issues that can go wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment