Thursday, August 13, 2009

Only in Oklahoma

This post is more for my benefit (I think), but maybe some of you will get a kick out of it like I do. I, in no way, am trying to offend anyone in Oklahoma or anyone that does or says these things. I just grew up in California which a semi-different culture.

Only in Oklahoma...do you get a daily allergy update on the radio. This radio station reports on which weeds, trees, etc. are affecting the area at that time.


Only in Oklahoma...do you hear the phrase, "Do what now?" when someone wants you to repeat what you said instead of saying, "What did you say?"
Only in Oklahoma...do you hear people say fixin'. "I'm fixin' to go to the store," "I'm fixin' to make dinner," etc. Okay, so maybe this phrase is not as prevelent here as it is in Texas, but I just laugh at it.

Only in Oklahoma...do people refer to soda as "pop." Okay, I know I have heard this elsewhere in the country, but I just love how different areas refer to things different. In California, you RARELY heard someone refer to soda as POP. It is more common here. I have even started to catch Jason saying it a time or two.


I am sure there are more, but I cannot think of them all right now. This is a post I have been wanting to do for awhile now. I would love for people to comment about other "Only in Oklahoma"

1 comment:

Clarissa and Mark said...

This is such a funny post. I totally remember working at my dads pizza place when a customer asked me for a "pop". I was so confused and I was like, "you want a what?" They had to repeat it about 3 times before the light bulb came on in my head and I realized what they wanted. "Oh..... you want a SODA!" Hahaha!
Also, when Robert came home from serving his mission in Oklahoma he told my parents "Y'all live in the sticks!" I was like, "Hello Robert, Can you please speak english!"