Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Being Yelled at by the Doc

Jason went to see his doctor today as a follow-up. Jason has high blood pressure at the young age of 27 (he has had it for several years). Jason has family history of major heart problems. Jason's dad left this world at a young age of 53 from a heart attack. He had an uncle who passed in his early 40's. Now granted, both of these men were obese and smokers. Jason does not smoke. Jason's dad was in great shape at Jason's age. Jason has been prescribed with blood pressure medicine (along with other things) that he RARELY takes. His doctor asked him about his medicine, and when he told her that he does not take it consistently, SHE YELLED AT HIM. "They are not doing you any good inside the bottle," she told him. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall.

I often joke with Jason that I will be a widow at 50, but in all honesty, it is something that worries me considering his hereditary and his current habits (ie-NOT taking his medicine). I think he got the wake-up call he deserved. I love him too much for him to make silly choices like this.
Another thing that the doctor set him straight with was his soda intake. Jason thinks one or two sodas a day is not a big deal! Now before he started working for Coke, we rarely kept soda in the house. I still feel that we do not, but he gets free soda when he is at the warehouse. Jason told his doctor that he wanted to put on 10-15 pounds of muscle for football season. She told him he would put on 10-15 pounds of fat if he kept drinking like that.

Now let me just describe our doctor. She is this tiny petite woman from India. I love that fact that 6'3", 240ish pound got yelled at by our petite doctor (who maybe weighs 100 pounds) because she cares. Now I do not have to be the bad guy or bad wife.

2 comments:

Renée and Jaime said...

Doctors get paid to tell people the truth and let's hope Jason will consistently take his medications.

Clarissa and Mark said...

That is awesome that she got to do the yelling! By the way, I made my blog private and I was wondering if you could send me your email so I could invite you as a reader. My email address is: orange_beanz@hotmail.com.
Also, check out my comment on your Only in Oklahoma post.