Notice from top to bottom there is a piece of 1x4, a butter knife, a screwdriver, a crowbar, and pruning shears. Now what might all these have to do with accomplishing the same task. Well, look at the picture below.
This is a picture of our office door (I am standing inside the office taking the picture). On the left is the entrance to the hallway, on the right is the wall where I thought it would be convenient to store our folding chairs. Well, Jason and I hear a big crash tonight and went to see where the noise came from. We found the office door shut. We tried opening it, but we could not because a chair had fallen, causing the door to close, and creating a wedge that would not allow the door to move at all. Jason thought that there was no way we would be able to open it, and we would have to knock down the door. Now I am stubborn, but I like to think that I am the good kind of stubborn (most of the time). I said no. We can do this. I was able to get my fingers underneath the door and pushed the chair up a few inches, but this did nothing. Then I grabbed a screwdriver. This just got lost underneath the door within seconds. I then went for the butter knife (don't ask, I was thinking of everything). I needed something that could fit underneath the door and that I could use as leverage the lift the chair a few more inches so the the door could open some, and when the door would open, it would cause the chair the lift back up.
Jason then came in with the crowbar. This did make some headway. We were able to push the chair over some with it, but it was not the winning tool. Jason then appeared with the pruning shears. These were longer and easier to grip. They fit underneath the door, but the fit was too snug so he did not get too far with it. I then tried the broom handle. This last only seconds also because the handle bent (I had to go to Wal-Mart tonight to buy another broom).
Below is the aftermath.
And the winning tool is.....
Jason and a 1x4. He got the 1x4 under the door and repeatedly smacked the chair until the chair was not longer a wedge and out of the way. In the mean time, another chair had fallen on top of the wedged chair. Surprisingly, the door and the wall have no damage, but when you put my 4 black folding chairs together, it takes only a microsecond to find the one that was violated by many tools.
During this whole situation, Jason was of course frustrated and still thought after trying many different tools, that we would still have to break down the door. I do not know why, but for some reason I know that would not have to happen, and I would rather replace a chair (or a broom) than a door. I knew that it would be a great story to tell.
2 comments:
Breaking the door down, definitely a man thing! He wanted to show his muscles! lol!
What a night! It's funny to look back and think of the silliest things that we have to spend time figuring out. I'm glad it all worked out in the end. How frustrating!
Post a Comment