I have been craving a big fat juicy beef taco in a fried shell. I have been craving it for the last few days. I decided that if I did not satisfy this craving, I would eat more than I need to and still not be satisfied. So today at lunch I went to what I thought was my favorite Mexican restaurant here in Stillwater, El Jalisco's (whatever that means). They bring you chips, salsa, AND queso for free. For those of you not from this middle part of the country, queso is HUGE here. Their salsa is okay. I like El Vaquero's better, but the first time Jason and I ate at El Jalisco's we really enjoyed it. My first time their was my last time until today. We usually do not go there because it is across town, and we can walk to El Vaquero. Well, always, I got really excited for my juicy taco and this is basically what I got.
I got a glorified Taco Bell taco. Now, Taco Bell is my favorite fast food place hands down. I have not problem with a Taco Bell taco, but I wanted a big fat juicy shredded beef taco in a traditional hard shell. What is got was ground beef and a store bought shell. What is up with all these Mexican restaurants not cooking their own Mexican food?! For those of you who do not know, I was raised on Mexican food. It is my ultimate favorite food. I miss Spicy Carrots (carrots cooked slightly with jalapenos and soaked in juices consisting of vinegar and other stuff). I miss them so much and no Mexican restaurants out here have even heard of them. I got so desperate for them, I looked up a recipe online. Jason digs them, but I cannot get the flavor right for my taste buds. Anyone out there have a good recipe for Spicy Carrots? To all you folks who live in Stillwater (or surrounding areas-I am willing to drive. My family and I used to drive 45 minutes to go eat at our fav Mexican restaurant all the time, Tio Leo's in Mira Mesa, or there is one off the 5 and 56) what is your fav Mexican restaurant?
3 comments:
I know exactly what you are saying! The Mexican food in this town S-U-C-K-S. El Jalisco has been our "favorite" so far- El Vaquero is good too. El Tapatio is the worst. But Tulsa had DANG GOOD Mexican food. And of course Ted's is the best too. There is a place in brick town called Chelinos that actually serves you those carrot and onion things you were talking about. I thought it was weird, I'd never seen them, but they were good. Go there!
Back in AZ I enjoyed a place called Manuel's. It has some pretty amazing salsa. I could just eat that and call it a meal.
aww kris! i know how you love your mexican food! one of my fave mexican places is still el azteca in provo! i rememeber when ever we would go there you would go straight to the carrots! LOL...i hate when mexican restaraunts cop out and uses mexi-american stuff like pre made shells! YUCK! i only eat them at taco bell for sure...even at home i fry up my own! haha...we just went to a place the other night that had THE most amazing hardshelled shredded beef tacos! its called marietas...its here in oside! if you come to visit we should go and i KNOW it will satisfy your craving!
Post a Comment